Friday, January 01, 2016

Photo of the Day: January 1, 2016; Happy Doomsday; end of the season

Happy 2016.

What I like about New Year's Eve.

The best thing about New Year's Eve?  The doom prophets come out.

[Click on photos to enlarge].

Sign in Yonge Dundas Square, Toronto.  New Year's Eve.

I like that the sign on the left includes witches on the list,
and even "liars" are going to hell.  Interesting. The guy with the
yellow sign on the right started turning away from me when he saw
me taking pictures.  Shouldn't he want to publicize his sign?  How can
I be saved if I can't see his sign?   Yonge Dundas Square, Toronto.  New Year's Eve.



Reviewing the pamphlets

Here are the pamphlets from the guys with the signs:


There's lots wrong with this pamphlet.  First, due to no fault of their own, I read this as "WHO will you do on Judgment Day?" and I thought, "Well, that's a weird way to think of Jesus, if I understand Christianity properly."  In addition, the list is grammatically inconsistent.  The list of people to be judged are "adulterers, idolaters, fornicators," etc.  But what is "greedy", an adjective, doing at the end of a list made up of nouns? Now, that's just sloppy. I also have an issue with "revilers" being in the list of sinners.  Okay, the others are traditionally sinners, but revilers?  My dictionary says basically it's someone who speaks abusively.  Is there a religious meaning?  If not, there's a spot in hell for people who speak abusively?  What about a spot in hell for people who lean their whole bodies on the poles on subways so you have nowhere to grasp when the subway is careening into the station?  Those people should go to hell.....  By the way, I recognize that this caption is much too long.  Sorry about that.  Perhaps there's a spot in hell for people who write lengthy captions......

In answer to the question, I guess Pee-wee Herman.  
Yes, I believe Pee-wee Herman is the most controversial man in human history, 
or that Urkel guy from the 90s sitcom "Family Matters."  As a pamphlet, not bad. 
Simple and to the point, but the lines radiating from (presumably) Jesus are 
problematic.  Are they light rays?  Makes the design a bit busy, in my opinion. 
In addition, the word balloon with the exclamation mark is used incorrectly, or at 
least vaguely.  Who exactly is saying the exclamation mark?  Word balloons 
are traditionally said by someone or something, like a radio. Points deducted for the lack of clarity. 

The Holiday season is over

Can we take these down now?