Saturday, January 02, 2016

Photo of the Day: January 2, 2016; also, Aretha, Natural (Wo)man

Photo of the Day

A rare deserted street in downtown Toronto, just north of Dundas, facing south on Victoria St.
January 1, 2016 at 8:20.  f/3/5, 1/40 s at ISO 320.  


I was walking in the morning on the way to the skating rink and took this photo...

Random thoughts

Things I watch and think about when on leave from work... (To be fair, I've been thinking and watching these types of things for awhile)....

Aretha Franklin:  Natural Woman

Did you see Aretha Franklin perform at the Kennedy Center Honors for 2015?  Her best performance in years (televised, anyway).  Take a look (and try to resist the urge to tell Carole King to calm the hell down):


It brings to mind the lesser version by Rod Stewart.  Now, honestly, I've been looking for Rod Stewart's cover for awhile after hearing about it a few years ago and then forgot about it.  In the meantime, it was posted to youtube.

Can you get through this whole clip?  Come on, give it a try....

I don't love it, but it's not the disaster I expected.  Nice horn section... It just seems to me that a man covering this song is so wrongheaded.  Yeah, people should sing whatever they want to sing regardless of gender, but this song, seems to me, to be so much from a woman's point of view.  

Give it a try...  Hit play....  Come on, do it....



At any rate, what is "Natural Woman" about?  I'm correct in saying that it's about this woman (the narrator) who's having awesome sex for the first time and is now receiving mind blowing orgasms.  Am I right?  Of course I am.