Friday, December 18, 2015

New York City: December 17, 2015; I don't want to come home

My last night in NYC.  I don't want to come home.  I love this city and I would move here right now but then I start to wonder if I would like this city if I had to earn a living here.  Maybe I just hate working.

In lieu of anything interesting to say, and because I start my days in NYC before 7:30 AM, literally walking around for about two hours, and end the night by going to some theatre, I will just post some pictures I took today.

Times Square

After seeing "Allegiance" tonight, I walked through Times Square with my camera.  I'm thinking it's impossible to take an interesting photo of Times Square.  I'm sure someone has an interesting take on it, but it's not me.  Here are some of the better shots I got, but I'm not saying by any means that they are particularly good.  I'm tired....

From the elevated platform in Times Square.  I thought the low hanging clouds would add something, but I think they're barely visible.  You decide.
Using my panorama setting again.  No tripod though, so if you look closely, you can see the stitching.
Is this a different shot?
What's that sound?  Subway grates between Broadway and 7th Ave at 45th and 46th Streets.  
At the subway grates between Broadway and 7th Ave at 45th and 46th Streets, an artist (in the 70s?  I'll let you look it up) created a sound installation that emanates from beneath this subway grate.  I came here last Tuesday in the morning when there were very few people in the Square.  

There was construction going on.  I heard the sound (it sounds like a didgeridoo) but thought it was from the construction.  Tonight, I still heard the sound, but I don't think it's just the subway.  I think it's the installation.  I don't think anyone else noticed.  

Btw, those blue fuzzy pants are from someone dressed as Cookie Monster posing for pictures with tourists for money.

Grand Central Terminal

It rained from around 9:30 AM to around 6:30 PM tonight, and was pouring from around noon to 4 PM.  Put a bit of a damper on the day.  

I'm thinking it's impossible to take an interesting photo of Grand Central Terminal.  I'm sure someone has an interesting take on it, but it's not me.  Here are some of the better shots I got, but I'm not saying by any means that they are particularly good.  I'm tired....

Above the facade of Grand Central Terminal from 42nd St.
Facade of Grand Central Terminal from 42nd St, all dressed up for Christmas.  Statue of Cornelius Vanderbilt, aka the great-great-great grandfather of Anderson Cooper.  That was one rich family....
Main concourse of Grand Central Terminal.

I am sad to have to come home tomorrow.