Wednesday, December 16, 2015

New York City: December 16, 2015; running around, skyline shots

It was a busy day today, trying to squeeze in some of what I wanted to do yesterday and what I had planned to do today.  It was cooler than yesterday but still warmer than an average December.  I only wore a t-shirt and hoodie in the morning.  I was a bit cold, but it was tolerable.

Clouds moved in this afternoon and I took this:

Using the panorama setting.  Details below. 
Before I got that shot, though, I was up early and as my hotel is near Times Square, I took advantage of it being relatively uncrowded.

Click on photos to enlarge.

Times Square

It's a tourist cliche, but maybe cliches exist for a reason.  Hard to photograph, though, with the light levels, etc.

Sun rises in Times Square.  December 16, 2015 at 7:07 AM.  f/4, 1/60 at ISO 160.

General Grant National Memorial

I went uptown (up to around 120th St) to see the Riverside Church because of its really tall tower, and because both that and The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine are open early, while most of the city is still getting up and/or struggling to get to work.

However, it wasn't open until 8; I thought it was 7 AM.  So, I wandered a bit and came across Grant's Tomb.  I had no idea, until a few months ago, that it was even in New York.  I read that only 10% of New Yorkers have visited it, so I'm in good company, I guess.

General Grant National Memorial, New York City.  December 16, 2015 at 7:47 AM.
This answers the age old riddle of who is buried in Grant's tomb.  (The answer, if you don't know, is nobody.  It's a mausoleum, so he's not buried).

I thought the light was nice and snapped this photo.  I was zoomed in as far as my kit lens can go, 50 mm.  Detail of General Grant Memorial, New York City.  December 16, 2015 at 7:51 AM.  f/13, 1/125 seconds at ISO 100.

Christmas at Radio City Music Hall

I hear it's a tradition, so I attended the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall.  The Hall is huge, and for New Yorkers' reputation for cynicism, there sure were a lot of sentimental people who, from what I overheard, attend all the time.  Lots of people in Christmas type outfits.  I saw a couple dressed as elves ask an usher to take their picture.  I wish I had taken one too.  It was kind of funny.  It's nice they found each other.

Radio City Music Hall, dressed up for Christmas.  December 16, 2015 at 12:42 PM.
There was an 11 AM, 2 PM, and 8 PM show (not sure about those last two) today.  I went to the morning one.

The climax of the show, aside from all the Rockettes' numbers, was a live nativity scene.  There were real animals.  I'll tell you right now, the sheep did not give a damn about the angel in the sky.  It was actually kind of impressive, though.

Everyone is into Christmas in New York City.  1251 Avenue of the Americas.  December 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM.  f/8, 1/320  at ISO 3200.  I have no idea why the ISO is so high.  I guess I wasn't paying attention.  I had set it high to get photos of the Christmas Spectacular.  

Manhattan skyline shots from Brooklyn

I did something I haven't done in years. Just because I wanted some good shots, I went to Brooklyn.  No reason not to go to Brooklyn--I just haven't.   

I had my tripod with me.  These shots are from Brooklyn Heights Promenade.  I wanted to get some shots from the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge, but the other side of the bridge is inaccessible due to construction.

Manhattan skyline from Brooklyn Heights Promenade.  December 16, 2015 at  2:07 PM.  f/14, 1/2000 at ISO 3200.  That ISO is much too high for the light conditions, I think.  I apologize to all of you on my behalf and also on behalf of my family.


I moved a few feet west to get this shot:

Manhattan skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge.  December 16, 2015 at 2:52 PM.  f/9, 1/100 at ISO 100.  That's a more reasonable ISO.  Yes, I was there snapping photos for that long...
I have dozens more shots of the skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge.  There were a few people taking photos there, but I'm guessing it would be a madhouse in the summer.

Union Square Holiday Market

I visited the Holiday (Christmas?) Market at Union Square.

I took this picture because I thought this guy was selling beautiful blown glass.  I'm sure there are ethics about taking photos like this.  I probably should have asked before taking the photo, instead, I took it when he wasn't looking....
Pretty colours.....  I'm sure I could crop it better....  f/4.5, 1/80 at ISO 800.
Regional Accent Report

You'll be happy to know, I went to see "Fun Home" tonight and the woman and her Dad beside me had the *most* stereotypical New York (New Yawk!) accents.  It was great.  Daughter is a bit of a mess though, but it's probably okay since Daddy sounds rich....

Okay, I'm tired now....  


More to come.....