Saturday, December 05, 2015

Toronto: December 5, 2015; comic convention, cooking

I know I said I would post some more photos of the Toronto skyline, but I'll do that tomorrow....

I started writing these posts because I'm on leave and doing some travelling.  I didn't want to feel like my time in Toronto was just killing time until another trip, but it's feeling a bit like that...

Nonetheless....  there was a comic book convention in town today, a small one because the big one is around Labour Day, so I went.

Click on the photos to enlarge them.

I noticed the reflection of the CN Tower in this Building when I was standing outside the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.  December 5, 2015 at 1:00 PM (exactly)

So wearing costumes of superheroes or sci-fi or anime characters or whatever ("cosplay") is a big thing at conventions.  People are really nice and willing to have their photos taken...

Not sure who this guy is supposed to be.

This guy was dressed as Sailor Moon.  I thought a guy dressing as Sailor Moon but keeping the facial hair was pretty cool. I have nothing but respect for this guy.  

Leaving the convention, the light was looking pretty nice, so I snapped this shot of the Elephant and Castle at Simcoe St and King St; December 5, 2015 at 3:12 PM.

So I miss Texas and Tennessee, especially the food.  I've started an experiment--trying to barbecue / smoke some brisket in my oven....  Not at all authentic, but the best I can do without a smoker.  

I bought about 4 to 5 lbs of grass-fed brisket.  On Friday night, I put on a rub I concocted consisting
of various chilli powders, salt, various peppers, etc.  I don't quite remember what I did.  It looked like this, when I remembered to snap a photo:

Starting to put the rub on the brisket and let it sit with the rub overnight.  Friday December 4, 2015 at 8:32 PM.
I put the rub on and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
The brisket this morning before going in the oven.  Saturday December 5, 2015 at 5:46 AM.

I added some liquid smoke on one side, then wrapped up the brisket and put it on a baking sheet.

The brisket, wrapped, on a baking sheet, ready to go in the oven.  Saturday December 5, 2015 at 6:33 AM.
The plan was to put the brisket in the oven at a low temperature for 12 hours.  I kept it at 220 degrees fahrenheit for 10 hours, and then dropped it to 200.  No reason for the temperature, change, but it took almost two hours to drop the temperature, as it just beeped now.

The brisket will be done in about 5 minutes.  I'll report how it turns out either tomorrow, or (more likely) on Monday.  Pics of the city tomorrow...