Monday, November 30, 2015

Bonus post: what I ate at my first US Thanksgiving

So, I can finally talk about it.  Thanks again to those who covered it....  This is what my first US Thanksgiving meal consisted of....

First, I had planned to eat at the Old Hickory Steakhouse in the Gaylord Opryland Resort and made a reservation in October.  (I would have made the reservation in August, but they weren't taking reservations that early).  It was a buffet, but what I hadn't completely understood was that the appetizers and desserts were typical all-you-can-eat buffet, but the main course was a choice of turkey, prime rib, I want to say some sort of fish, and something else... I can't remember.   When I made the reservation, I thought everything was all-you-can-eat. 

I got indignant at that point but determined that I would make them "pay" because the main course wasn't all-you-can-eat.  "I can eat a few plates of an appetizer that are at least equal to  a main course," I thought.  
Plate #1:  antipasti consisting of caprese salad, roasted vegetables, charcuterie, cheeses, bread and butter

Plate #2 from the next section of the buffet:  shrimp, some fruit, smoked cod, chopped egg and in the right corner, roast parsnip and pear soup, which was delicious

Plate #3 from the next section of the buffet: salad with green and yellow tomatoes, parmesan cheese and blue cheese, bread and butter, plus more soup

Plate #4 consisted of items from the first three tables.  Honestly, as soon as I sat down with this plate, I knew it was a mistake.  I figured I better eat it, since I took it.  If I were to stop when I was full, I could have stopped after this plate, but I still had the main course.  This plate:  more shrimp. roasted vegetables, salad, and roast beet salad.

For the main course I chose the prime rib.  I couldn't even get through the sides, which were carrots and beans, stuffing, mushrooms, mashed potatoes.  Now, eating felt like homework.  I got through all the prime rib, though.  I'm going to say that was 16 oz, but not sure.

I couldn't even sample more than these two desserts.  Pumpkin pie and chocolate mousse.  The waiter was trying to tell me to rest and then go back, but I just couldn't.  It felt like a personal defeat.  However, it's four days later, as I type this, and I'm still not hungry.....  Really good meal, though.