Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Other thoughts on and pics from Hawaii: February 23, 2016

Other things I've learned

Adding to this.

7) The word "Hawaiian" has a really specific meaning. I had read, before I left, that the only people who use that word are the indigenous people of Hawaii. Other people who are from Hawaii generally say they "live in Hawaii" or are "from Hawaii."

In accordance with all that, one tour guide I met said that he has "lived in Hawaii" his whole life, and that his family has "lived in Hawaii" for four generations. Interesting, (in my opinion, anyway).

8) Apparently I like beaches. Beaches are awesome. Surfing is awesome.

9) I had also read before I left, that there is no night life outside of Honolulu, and that things start early in the day and end early at night because of surfing culture: the best time to go for the waves is in the morning. Now, I don't know if that's true--just reporting what I read, but sure enough, in Haleiwa, a surf town on the North Shore of Oahu, a burger place had breakfast at 7 AM but started serving burgers at 10 AM! Another place had all-day lunch and all-day breakfast.

Plus, the local NBC affiliate, and presumably the other stations as well, had a surf forecast every morning, predicting the size of the waves around the island.

10) Vog is a thing. Like big cities get smog, Hawaii gets vog. Vog occurs when gases and ash from the active volcanoes on the Big Island combine with the air, etc. I'm told that it was really bad one recent summer when the trade winds weren't active and the vog just hung in the air. It bothers people and some find it hard to breathe...like smog.

Pics

I may or may not add more photos as I go along.... I'm down to my last few days of leave from work, so not sure what I'll be doing...

Click to enlarge.
Halona Blowhole, Oahu, Hawaii. February 4, 2016 at 9:50 AM HAST.
More after the jump...

Shots from the Saturday Farmers Market at Kapiolani Community College on Diamond Head Road, Honolulu.

A farmers' market with mountains in the background. Saturday
February 6, 2016 at around 7:45 AM.
Orchids for sale. 
You can't tell, but these bananas are tiny.
Fresh pineapple! Fresh! Pineapple! Locally grown! Grown! Locally!

Up until that point in my trip, these were the biggest avocados
I had ever seen. I put my hand in the photo to give an idea. I
subsequently saw bigger ones on the Big Island. I was amazed, though.

Other Thoughts....

So, Honolulu and the rest of Hawaii, were also exciting to me because of the huge mix of Asians and Pacific Islanders. Going to the mall, sitting in the food court, and riding the bus looking at the racial make-up of the crowds on the bus all gave me a bit of a thrill. I wondered if they could all see me staring.

I felt the way I did as a kid, and still sometimes do, when I see Asian people on TV or movies (in non-stereotypical roles). I feel acknowledged and like I exist. The added bonus is this isn't TV; it's real life. I felt seen.

In Honolulu, I got mistaken for a local a lot. That never happened in Nashville! I felt relaxed and respected.

How can I go on knowing that just an 11-hour flight away, I feel really different? Plus beaches and surfing....