Friday, January 15, 2016

Pop Culture Confessions: January 15, 2016

I am on a (delayed) train heading o Ottawa from Toronto right now. Yay for free wifi! Boo for no complimentary anything while onboard to compensate for the delay. I'm travelling coach for the first time in at least 15 years. It's painful.  Not really.  I didn't want the acceptable but included in the price of the ticket food available in business class anyway.

Apropos of nothing:

Forgive me, all, for I have sinned.  These are my pop culture confessions.

1)  I just thought about this the other day. Remember in January 2013, when within days of each other David Bowie announced his first first album in about a decade and Justin Timberlake announced his first album in seven years? I knew I was "supposed" to care about Bowie's return but I was really only excited about Timberlake's.

2) I don't have Netflix, even though I know they are creating excellent new series, but the thing that might make me subscribe is "Fuller House." Yeah, I said it. I watched "Full House" when it originally aired, and I was old enough to know better at the time!  I was well into my teens at that point.  I don't care! I still think ABC's TGIF lineup ranged from okay to awesome over the years and still think Urkell is a creation of a comic genius.  Thanks, Jaleel White!  One day, the world will recognize your work and regret never having acknowledged it appropriately.

3) I thought the reboot of "Battlestar Galactica" had a perfect series ending, but am still angry about the way "Lost" ended. To this day, even when I'm watching any series' last episode, I'll think about Lost again and want to kick my TV in.  Damn, you, Lost!!