Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Photo(s) of the Day: January 5, 2016; Ripley's Aquarium adventures...

I have to say, $33.88 for general admission at Ripley's Aquarium is waaaay too much.  However, before the school trips and families arrived, I had the place all to myself, except for staff, from 9 AM to around 10 AM.

I took the opportunity to experiment with the camera again.  Light levels were low, so I boosted the ISO levels.  I had to work without a tripod because tripods are not allowed at the Aquarium, as I expected. However, I used my macro filters which allowed me to get closer to the fish and still stay in focus.

Click to make photos bigger for inspection and more fun.

  Clownfish sure are cute.  f/5.6, 1/30 at ISO 1600.

More photos after the jump.

I just like these photos because the blurry fish looks like it's trying to get into my shot, both times.

No, take my photo!! f/4, 1/60 at ISO 1600.
Am I in the shot?? f/4, 1/40 at ISO 1600.











Now this guy (gal?) was giving good face.  While the other fish were
busy swimming around, this guy just let me take a whole bunch of photos.
I literally have 21 of him just hanging out and/or examining me.  (When we
gaze into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into us... Or something like that).
f/4, 1/60 at ISO 1600.  I like that the low value of the f-stop allowed
me to keep his face in focus, but not much else.

This fish looks like someone I once saw on the subway.
You've probably seen him too.   f/4, 1/13 s at ISO 1600. 

This shark just sat around, staring at me.  Maybe I looked like
breakfast?  f/4, 1/50 at ISO 1600.

Jellyfish.  f/6.3, 1/100 at ISO 1600.