Saturday, January 16, 2016

Ottawa: January 16, 2016; trying to get the iconic shot

An iconic shot of Ottawa

Is there an iconic shot of Ottawa? While visiting other cities earlier on my sabbatical, I tried getting what would be considered definitive skyline shots of each of the cities. Does Ottawa have an equivalent?  Is it this?

(Click to enlarge)

Parliament in the middle, Gatineau to the right, the Fairmont Chateau Laurier on the left.
Using my panorama setting. January 16, 2016 at 7:45 AM.  f/4, 1/60 at ISO 400.  

Or is this all that's required?



Parliament.  Ottawa. January 16, 2016 at 7:41 AM. f/13, 0.8 s
at ISO 100.  
Regardless, I think of Ottawa as a winter city, so it seemed appropriate to photograph it in the winter.  At least, that's how I was consoling myself. It felt pretty cold.

Rideau Hall

The Governor General was having a Winter Celebration today.

The weather couldn't be more appropriate.  Btw, I hadn't checked before heading here, but it hasn't been cold enough for long enough for the Rideau Canal to freeze over, so no skating on the canal (yet).  I thought I might have brought my skates for nothing. The Governor General came to the rescue, though, as there was a rink open to the public on the grounds of Rideau Hall.

The public also had a chance to walk around the residence, while being closely watched, of course.  To think I walked in the same house where Stephen Harper had Parliament prorogued twice! Exciting!

Rideau Hall, residence of the Governor General. Ottawa, Ontario.
January 16, 2016.