Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Toronto: December 8, 2015; photos from St. Michael's Cathedral renovations

St. Michael's Cathedral is the Catholic cathedral in Toronto and one of the city's oldest churches.  Even though it is only a block or so away from me, I failed to realize that it closed for renovations a few months ago.  I heard on the news last night that it was re-opening at 10 AM this morning (it turns out, only for Christmas and will close again until March).  Naturally, I figured I would go take a look.

The interior photos below are high lighting conditions for a church, but still pretty low.  So, for those interested, the ISO is relatively higher than I would have preferred, around 320 or 400 for most.

Click on the photos to get a larger view.

Entering St. Michael's Cathedral, December 8, 2015.   It has been cleaned up quite a bit on the outside--I think...  This is another case of something being so familiar that I didn't notice it.  I walk by it probably at least once or twice every week.
The ceiling has been re-done, and the Church is asking people to "sponsor a star" on the ceiling for $100.  Pews can be sponsored for $300.

Apparently I like taking photos of ceilings.  St. Michael's Cathedral, December 8, 2015.  
I like this photo because it shows the stripped down pillars, which I assume will be done in March...  St. Michael's Cathedral, December 8, 2015.  
Facing east towards the entrance.  You can see the extent of the scaffolding and the reason that the Cathedral will be closed until March.  Presumably it's difficult to have a service or mass with that much scaffolding.  St. Michael's Cathedral, December 8, 2015.

More scaffolding, the south part of the Church (I think).  St. Michael's Cathedral, December 8, 2015.

Metropolitan Community Church (MCC), across Shuter St. from St. Michael's Cathedral.  Do you think the MCC is jealous that St. Mike's is getting so much attention today?  Of course not!  Buildings are inanimate objects that don't have feelings!
Leaving St. Michaels's Cathedral, December 8, 2015.  I just liked this shot.
It turns out that when people are moving slowly in front of me, I swear a lot!  I hope no one heard me, as it was likely inappropriate Church language--I wouldn't know for sure, though.