Monday, December 21, 2015

New York / Toronto: December 21, 2015; last looks (for now) at NYC

Here are some shots from my last day in New York City of which I am proud.  That, my friends, was a grammatically correct sentence.

Click on the shots to get a larger view.

Columbus Circle, New York City.  December 18, 2015 at 7:06 AM.  f/4 at 1/160 at ISO 2500.  I didn't have my tripod, and was trying to use my panorama setting on my camera.  So I'm low on the ground trying to use my elbow as a pivot so I can keep a constant height.  Obviously not successful, but I decided not to crop this shot.  I didn't choose the settings because my camera did it automatically, but I'm amazed at how fake this photo looks.  It looks like an artist's rendering or conceptual art of the building.  I like the shot.
I love Columbus Circle and I have no idea why.  It's a retail area near Central Park with corporate offices, so it's not something I should "love" but I do.  I think it's a great space.

Columbus Circle, New York City.  December 18, 2015 at 7:08 AM.  f/3.5 at 1/25 at ISO 500.  Now, I set these settings myself, and was worried that without a tripod, there would be considerable shake visible, but I think it turned out pretty well.  Still looks like an artist's rendering to me.

Times Square at the Golden Hour

Soon after leaving Columbus Circle, I went to the Financial District and it started raining at around 11 AM, if not earlier.  I spent my last few hours in New York wandering through Washington Square Park, the Flatiron area and Union Square and walked up to Times Square.

The good:  after a full previous day and a morning of rain, there was some sunlight in the afternoon, so I had a proper golden hour before I left.

The bad:  the golden hour coincided with the time I had to grab my luggage from the bell captain at my hotel to catch my flight home.

At any rate, I snapped some photos on my way to the hotel because the light was so nice.

Times Square, New York City.  December 18, 2015 at 3:53 PM.  I guess my quest to get a good photo of Times Square continues....
At this point, I'm getting sad to leave New York.

Times Square, New York City.  December 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM.  
To make sure I wasn't hearing things, I listened for the sound installation between 45th and 46th St between Broadway and 7th Ave.  I still hear the hum.   (You can read about my previous trips at this post).  

I still hear the hum, I tell you!!!  
The subway grate at 45th and 46th St between Broadway and 7th Ave.  All these people are obvious to the hum, it seems. It is subtle.  Feels like a little New York secret....

Hopefully, I will post something more Toronto-centric tomorrow....