Monday, December 14, 2015

Detroit: December 14, 2015; The Henry Ford, Renaissance Center, public art, and the dumbest thing at Target (?)

Off to New York this afternoon, and landing in the evening.  The thing I find frustrating about travelling in the US is that a lot is virtually impossible without a car or, at least a motor vehicle.  For instance, travelling from Detroit to NYC, the only reasonable choices that I saw were budget airlines.  If I was willing to pay *a lot*, I could fly United or American.  I'm flying a budget airlines (not mentioning the name here) but I'm being nickel and dimed for everything.  For instance, there's a charge for a carry-on bag and a charge if I check in at the airport instead of checking in and printing a boarding pass from "home." Whatever... the cost of travel I guess....

Click on all photos to enlarge.

The dumbest item I saw at Target

I'm not a big shopper but I like going to Target in the US.  I made a trip.  This, in my opinion, is the dumbest item I saw at Target.

First, I'm a sucker for Superman items.  I saw this and had to investigate...  Superman boxers.
Superman boxers at a Detroit-area Target.  *Note* the tag that says "Look at my cape!"

Yes, "Look at my cape!" indeed.  The boxers have a cape!

These boxers have a cape held in place by velcro.  Why?

At first this made no sense to me.  Who wants boxers with a cape?  But then, I realized that Superman himself wears his costume with a cape underneath his street clothes, so this actually makes sense.  Then, I realized what I was thinking and stopped myself.....

The Henry Ford Museum

I went to the Henry Ford Museum.  It's a fun museum.

The Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, Michigan.  December 13, 2015.
It's a little strange.  As expected, the main focus seems to be cars and other modes of transportation, but there are other items that are somewhat random.  The museum also has, for instance, a collection of odd chairs, the actual bus on which Rosa Parks refused to move to the back (with her seat subtly marked--don't worry, I made sure to sit there), and a circular pre-fab home, only one of which was ever built.  

So it's a museum with a varied collection.  It's also quite spacious inside, and doesn't feel crammed with items and people, like other museums.  It would be a nice place to spend a day, I think.

Entering the Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, Michigan.  December 13, 2015.

The amazing thing about the Henry Ford, though, is that it's the first museum I've seen that not only has an eating place (or, I believe, in this instance, eating places) outside the exhibit area, but there are *multiple* eating places within the exhibit area itself!  In an area about road travel, (I think), which also houses a neon McDonald's sign and an old Holiday Inn sign, there's an old-style diner car with a staff and that actually serves food.

In another area, there are root beer floats available for purchase.  (I saw one guy buy one and spoon the ice cream out of it, and then ask for a plastic cup to transfer everything to, so he could walk around the museum with it!  Walking around the museum with a root beer float!!).

The museum also has an Oscar Meyer Weiner-mobile, near which is also a place to eat...  Well, you get the idea.  Lots of places to eat and you don't have to even leave the exhibits....  Odd...
Hot dogs available for purchase, steps from the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile,  (which oddly, I did not take a picture of), and other exhibits.  The Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn Michigan.  December 13, 2015.
The Renaissance Center

I also finally got to stay at the Renaissance Center, which are the tall black round buildings visible in the skyline.   (See yesterday's post re my strange childhood ambitions by clicking here).

The Renaissance Center is a complex of buildings which house the offices of GM.  One of the towers (the centre one?) is the hotel and at its completion, was the tallest hotel in the world.  It isn't anymore, but when I was a kid, I wanted to stay here, so I finally took the opportunity.  

It's not expensive at all, plus I got a discount rate.  So not breaking the bank or anything....

The Renaissance Center, Detroit, Michigan.  December 13, 2015.  I believe, counterintuitively, that the building with the Marriott logo (on the left in the photo) is not actually the hotel.  I think the building in the centre is the hotel, but I could be wrong...
Detail of the exterior of the Renaissance Center, Detroit, Michigan.  December 13, 2015.
Interior of the Renaissance Center, Detroit, Michigan.  December 13, 2015.  I like that the interior fits with the buildings I've seen in the city, what people in the early 20th century imagined the city of the far future, like the 80s or 90s, would be like....  the elevated paths, the trees inside, etc. 
More interior of the Renaissance Center, Detroit, Michigan.  This picture taken December 14, 2015.

I requested an upgrade for a view with the river.  I didn't get it, but I was really happy with the view anyway.....
View from my room at the Renaissance Center, Detroit, Michigan.  December 13, 2015. 
The view in the evening from my room at the Renaissance Center, Detroit, Michigan.  December 13, 2015.
Now, is it pathetically small to dream to stay in a hotel?  Sure.  But like either Plato or Prince said, dream small and you're unlikely to fail....  Sigh... small ambitions keep us alive because the big ones eventually get beaten out of us and worn down over time.  I think....  Moving on....

The Coney Island

I'm told a Detroit thing is a Coney Island, which is a boiled hot dog, steamed bun, with chilli, onions and mustard.  I figured it was time to try one.  So I went to Lafayette Coney Island and ate this:

It's a Detroit thing:  the Coney Island.

It wasn't bad.  That's all I'll say....  Seriously, wasn't bad and I've crossed it off my list of things to do in life.

Regional accents

By the way, anyone reading these posts, you know that I enjoy regional accents in North America.  The main difference I've noted here in Detroit is that the "a" sound, as in "bad" or "back" sounds closer to the way we say the "e" vowel, as in "bed" or "fed."  So the way we say "back" sounds more like "beck."  Not exactly, but halfway between "back" and "beck," and is slightly nasalized.  

Just FYI for those who are interested....

Public art and monuments in Detroit

One other thing I love about Detroit is the public art and monuments in its downtown.

The Spirit of Detroit.  December 13, 2015.
The Monument to Joe Louis, (pro boxer, if you don't know), aka "The Fist."  Downtown Detroit, Michigan.  December 13, 2015.  The building on the left was designed by the architect who also designed the original World Trade Center towers in New York City that fell on 9/11.  I think you can see the similarities.  

Off to New York

Off to New York this evening.  I'm not sure what the internet situation is when I'm there.  In any case, New York City is one of my favourite cities in the world.  I've never been there at Christmastime so I'm interested in seeing what it's like.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm not sure), it's not very Christmas-like weather here in northeastern North America, but I'll hopefully experience new things in NYC anyway....

Moving on.....