Monday, December 14, 2015

*Bonus* 2nd post for December 14, 2015; not so fast, sporto...

I wrote my previous post early this morning (see here).  And now I can only say, I guess I won't be going to New York just yet.

I'm writing this in a Holiday Inn near the Detroit Airport, because my flight was cancelled due to weather.  I'm super-bummed out, but everyone has been pretty good.  I lose a day in New York because the crappy cheap airline I'm flying only has two stupid flights a day and the early morning flight is booked.  Maybe I didn't do enough research, but I didn't see much choice flying from Detroit to New York.   It was either this airline or paying 3 to 4 times more to fly a larger airline.  I don't know if a different airline would have made a difference and I haven't researched to see what the weather is in NYC.

Whatever.  Nothing to do but sit around...

After cancelling all the plans I could in NYC, I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out which boxers I have that I could pass off as swim trunks and hit the whirlpool.

Dinner at the hotel restaurant.  Filling.  Fine.  Shouldn't complain.  Lots of single guys in the restaurant, eating alone, so I felt at home.

In the absence of anything else to do, I guess I'll go to bed early and figure out what I'll do in New York.  I need to re-organize and re-pack my stuff tonight, but I need something to occupy my time before checkout, and my flight tomorrow afternoon!!!

Moving on...  Hopefully I'll be able to say something about New York City tomorrow evening.

Here are some photos of Detroit I took this morning, shortly after the sun came up.  It was rainy pretty much the whole day, but in the morning, before the rain started, the light was really pink.  Kind of beautiful and peaceful.

The light was unreal.  Detroit, December 14, 2015 at 7:55 AM.  ISO 3200 (higher than I would prefer, but I didn't have a tripod), f/8 at 1/200.

I think the light is beautiful, bathing everything in pink.  Detroit, December 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM.  ISO 400, f/4.5 at 1/80.

Sign at the Fox Theater, downtown Detroit.  December 14, 2015 at  8:18 AM.  ISO 400, f/4.5 at 1/100.
Heading to the airport before my flight was cancelled, I took a shuttle to the airport.  It was considerably cheaper than a cab ($20 for the shuttle vs (I'm told) $70 for the cab).   Good news: pretty much like a cab because I was the only one in the shuttle.  Bad news: the driver was telling me that Washington DC is built in worship of Satan and you can tell by all the architecture.  For instance, the Washington Monument, according to him (and I have yet to verify....), is 555 feet above the ground, but 111 feet below the ground.  555 + 111 = 666 = worshipping the devil.

Anyway, I'm now at the Holiday Inn.  Hopefully things will go smoothly tomorrow....

Glass of water at the Holiday Inn.  Even the glass is crying.  Sigh.  There are worse things.  Had to manually focus on this because light levels were too low for the automatic focus.
Cobb Salad.  Dinner.  Nothing special to report.  The salad wishes it were in New York City, too.

Silly to complain.  I just have a quiet next 24 hours....