Sunday, November 22, 2015

Austin: November 22, 2015 (part 1); hanging around taking photos


It was a nice day, weather-wise (and food-wise and photo-wise....).  Weather was cool again, but nowhere near as windy yesterday, so it felt a bit warmer.  I had to buy a hat, though.  I'm not prepared for colder weather, so I guess I'll be spending a lot of time indoors.

I noticed that a bus route had a Chinatown stop.  I had to go.  If you're in Austin, I would suggest you don't bother.  It was just one giant "Asian" mall called Chinatown Center.  I won't post pics.  It's nice, but nothing special.

Around Austin, though I noticed that there are a number of interesting signs.  Some look like old signs from the early to mid 20th century that were never taken down, the others are just bizarre.  (As always click on the photos to make them larger, and you can then click again).  Outside my hotel (on Lavaca and 7th Streets) there are these signs:
This is not a Western wear store. It's an "event space." What?

Look, y'all!  It's a giant pepper wearing a sombrero!

I was so excited to have this giant boot outside my hotel.  But little did I know that later in the day I would see this..
Look, y'all!  It's a giant boot.  Allen's, a Western Wear store, on South Congress Ave.
And then this....
Look, y'all!  It's a... giant boot.  Heritage Boot Co. on South Congress Ave.

So giant boots aren't so rare, but here are a selection of other signs I saw today.  (I have many more photos of other signs because I became a little obsessed).
Hyde Park Gym, Guadalupe St. at 41st St.  From the looks of the lot outside the gym filled with giant tires, I'm guessing it's a cross fit gym.

Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds, a vintage clothing and costume store.  Is that a zebra wearing a costume??
Detail of the zebra dressed as Carmen Miranda?  Charo?  I don't know...
Uncommon Objects.  An antique store on South Congress Ave.  What does a giant rabbit have to do with antiques?  No idea.
Stubbs Bar-B-Q on Rainey Ave at 8th St.  More on that in the part 2.

So, today was my last day in Austin.  I have to be up for a 6:40 AM (CST) flight to Nashville.  I should wrap up this post.  I ended my day by literally waiting about an hour and a half for night to come, so I could improve on the skyline shots I got previously.

I bought this new camera just to take better photos, but now taking photos has become a bit of a pursuit of its own.  I recently learned what the "golden hour" is--in case you don't know, it's typically an hour before sunset when the light is supposedly beautiful.  Well, some photos of Austin's skyline as I leave tomorrow.
Golden hour.  Look at that light!  And I found the panorama function on my camera!

Golden hour. Austin.  Looking up the Congress Ave. Bridge.

Night has fallen.  Exposure on this was 0.6 seconds.

Exposure was 0.83 seconds.